Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Monoprinting a Butterfly on Fabric

I first cut out a butterfly shape (based on a photo I was looking at), then I rolled acrylic paint in a thin layer of blue on a sheet of plexiglass. I laid down the paper butterfly over that, then quickly, before the paint dried, put my white cotton fabric over paper, paint layer,etc. I let the fabric dry, heat set it with an iron, and sprayed the fabric with water to moisten. After that I dropped some liquid dye in yellow (Rit) over the butterfly outline and some of the blue painted areas. Let dry, heat set, then some fun! I drew the details from the butterfly photo with a Micron pen and colored pencil. The softer areas are drawn with water soluble colored pencil, then misted. This is a great way to keep the color from spreading too much, which it has a tendency to do on fabric.

One of my new transparent collages

Summer Dance

Summer Dance
One of my collages