Thursday, June 9, 2011
I took water soluable colored pencils, and filled in the spokes, (is that the right term?) face, and other design elements, and sprayed with water to soften. This seems to be the running theme in my work, doesn't it - spray with water to soften!
Next, I'll either use it in an art quilt, or I'll create another Tulip paint print for demo purposes. Hmmmm, what's a good subject for another one? I'll have to think about that.
As with the butterfly, I took a manilla folder and drew a design with Tulip dimensional fabric paint. This leaves a raised image to work from. I let it dry 24 hours, and painted over it with a brayer and some acrylic craft paints, mixing 3 different colors.
I laid a piece of plain white fabric over it, and lightly rubbed with fingertips over the raised texture. Quickly, before it dried, I selectively sprayed with water where I thought softening would improve the look.
Later, I'll overlay some more color to finish.
Monday, June 6, 2011
Thursday, June 2, 2011
This double portrait is to commemorate the memorial day wedding of this happy couple - a joyful task if ever there was one! It was commissioned by their dear friends, and I'll deliver it tomorrow.
I first enlarged a small photo of the two, then drew a "map" of their features; nothing too detailed, but placement was what I went for. I drew more and more detailed features in - starting with light colored skin toned water-soluble colored pencils. I worked up to the darker colors (the reason for this progression is to avoid errors) feeling my way along. I ended with dark brown Sharpie on the eyes, etc.
Next, I pieced together the fabric (a combination of hand dyes and commercial batiks), then glued it to a 20" bu 20" canvas. Bob wired the back for hanging - and it's done.
This will be a total surprise to the newlyweds!