For this piece, I collected and dried wildflowers between the pages of a book, made a gelatin print plate, and did a reverse print for the background. The bird and the flower are pencil drawings from my sketchbook, which I copied onto printer-fabric on my home copier. The polymer clay embellishment is one I made during a session in my kitchen using a rolling pin and rubber stamps. Thanks for looking!
I'm getting closer and closer to finishing my Herstory quilt - here's a picture of some free motion stitching and an applique of a Chinese field worker on silk organza. I screen printed it on with a thermofax I had made from my art by Lyric Montgomery in NC. Next, the plan is to see what hand stitching I can strategically add, and sew on beads of different types to make the whole thing come into focus. My goal is to tell the story and to make this piece work on different levels as a piece of art for the book and the traveling show.
I worked on this little piece to be mounted on canvas for an upcoming show at the Cottonwood Arts Center in Colorado Springs. The dates aren't final yet, so check back. This will probably be early 2017. The face is a thermofax screen I had made from my edited photo, then discharged onto a hand dye.
I used Fimo for these, not having my own kiln. The leaf pendant is a stamped, baked, and painted end result. The next photo of the square shape is the actual color of the Fimo. I rolled it out with a wine bottle, and pressed it with rubber stamps. I then used a small cookie cutter-type shapes to cut them out and with a bbq skewer, poked holes in the corners so I can easily sew down or string the embellishments later. After that, I took small sponge and dipped it in acrylic craft paint. (I had a small paper plate palette with four assorted soft colors.) I started with a mid tone - aqua - and with a sponge squeezed out to the point of being quite dry, I swished it gently on the raised textures. I repeated this step with soft ocher, then gold, then white. The end result is subtle shapes useful for jewelry or adding to art compositions.
It's been a happy, busy summer so far in my corner of the world, with lots of hiking, biking, some camping and a scenic train trip in the mountains. I'm still making time for art every day we're home - I can't NOT do art! Taking a moment this morning to appreciate the beauty of life and be glad for everything I have.
I'm continuing work on the Pearl S. Buck quilt, and was thinking about different elements I want to applique onto it. One of her books was called "Peony", and the peony is also a common decorative image seen in Chinese art, textiles, vases, etc. I thought it was a perfect addition! So I drew it in pencil and used watercolors to finish it. I used my copier to print it onto fabric, and stitched it down. More later on this project. . .
This is my entry in the ongoing textile art exhibit at the Parker Arts Center. It's a stunning show, with some nationally recognized artists. I'm honored to be included! This show will run until July 10th and is really worth a look. Incredible stitchwork!!!
This is for a call for entries for a book to be published in approximately two years. The subject will be textile art depicting woman in the 20th century who are innovative, brave, and history-making! How could I pass on this? My subject is Pearl S. Buck, who wrote about life in China before the communist revolution. I read "The Good Earth" as a kid growing up in a small town outside of Seattle, and her spare, elegant writing made a whole faraway land of people with their thoughts, motives, and exotic culture come to life for me. I decided to start with a portrait of this talented woman who won both a Pulitzer AND a Nobel prize! I then copied her image from my sketchbook to a printable fabric sheet.
I've been going through landscape photos from trips we've taken in years past. I like editing for a specific feeling, like vastness or rugged, wild mood. I can use these copied onto printer-fabric for an added focal point in my art quilts (which usually have small elements like birds or leaves.) This gives a sense of place and I love adding small amounts of acrylic paint or colored pencil plus thread sketching over the top!
I bought some plain black cotton at JoAnn's and used Cascade dishwasher gel w/ bleach for these. I didn't try anything complex, just some pleating and tying with twine, and stenciling. I love the deep, dramatic red tones I got with this technique. Next time, I'll use SoftScrub with bleach, I've read in Rayna Gilman's book that the bleached areas are more of a whiteish color.