Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Commission is Completed!!!


This double portrait is to commemorate the memorial day wedding of this happy couple - a joyful task if ever there was one! It was commissioned by their dear friends, and I'll deliver it tomorrow.
I first enlarged a small photo of the two, then drew a "map" of their features; nothing too detailed, but placement was what I went for. I drew more and more detailed features in - starting with light colored skin toned water-soluble colored pencils. I worked up to the darker colors (the reason for this progression is to avoid errors) feeling my way along. I ended with dark brown Sharpie on the eyes, etc.
Next, I pieced together the fabric (a combination of hand dyes and commercial batiks), then glued it to a 20" bu 20" canvas. Bob wired the back for hanging - and it's done.
This will be a total surprise to the newlyweds!

One of my new transparent collages

Summer Dance

Summer Dance
One of my collages