Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

Herstory Project

This is for a call for entries for a book to be published in approximately two years. The subject will be textile art depicting woman in the 20th century who are innovative, brave, and history-making! How could I pass on this? My subject is Pearl S. Buck, who wrote about life in China before the communist revolution. I read "The Good Earth" as a kid growing up in a small town outside of Seattle, and her spare, elegant writing made a whole faraway land of people with their thoughts, motives, and exotic culture come to life for me. I decided to start with a portrait of this talented woman who won both a Pulitzer AND a Nobel prize! I then copied her image from my sketchbook to a printable fabric sheet.

One of my new transparent collages

Summer Dance

Summer Dance
One of my collages